Does medicare cover electric scooters?

Medicare may provide coverage for electric scooters (also known as mobility scooters) under certain circumstances.

Here’s what you need to know:

  1. Medical Necessity: Medicare typically covers durable medical equipment (DME) that is deemed medically necessary for individuals with mobility impairments. This includes electric scooters when they are prescribed by a healthcare provider and are necessary for the individual’s mobility.

  2. Part B Coverage: If you have Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance), it might cover a portion of the cost of an electric scooter as DME. However, coverage rules and limitations apply.

  3. Supplier Requirements: To be covered by Medicare, the electric scooter must be provided by a Medicare-enrolled DME supplier. It’s important to ensure that the supplier you choose is enrolled in Medicare.

  4. Coverage Criteria: Medicare has specific coverage criteria for electric scooters. The scooter must be considered medically necessary to aid in mobility within the home, and the individual must have a mobility limitation that prevents them from using a cane, walker, or manual wheelchair effectively.

  5. Documentation: A healthcare provider’s prescription and documentation of the medical necessity of the electric scooter are essential for Medicare coverage.

  6. Cost Sharing: Medicare Part B generally covers 80% of the approved amount for DME after you’ve met your annual deductible. You’ll be responsible for the remaining 20% as well as any applicable coinsurance or deductible amounts.

It’s important to note that coverage can vary, and you should check with Medicare and your specific Medicare plan to understand the details of coverage for electric scooters. Additionally, always work with your healthcare provider and a Medicare-enrolled supplier to ensure that you meet the necessary criteria and follow the proper steps for obtaining coverage.

We will find the best health insurance tailored to your needs. Read more…