Home » News » How to avoid insurance increase after accident?
How to avoid insurance increase after accident

How to avoid insurance increase after accident?

You cannot avoid increasing your policy after a car accident. But there are several things you can do to reduce the increase.

Preserving Your Premiums and Driving Record

Accidents happen, but they don’t have to wreck your insurance rates or tarnish your driving record forever. In this guide, we’ll explore strategies to help you avoid insurance increases after an accident. We’ll also address the burning question: How long does an accident stay on your record? Plus, stay tuned for a link to our article on “How to Avoid Car Accidents.”

Understand Your Insurance Policy

The first step is to thoroughly understand your insurance policy. Familiarize yourself with the terms and conditions, especially those related to accidents and rate increases. Knowing your coverage and how your insurer handles accidents is crucial.


Assess the Damage and Risk

Before filing a claim, evaluate the extent of the damage and assess the potential risk. If the cost of repairs is only slightly higher than your deductible, it might be more economical to pay out of pocket to avoid a claim on your record.

Consider Accident Forgiveness

Some insurance companies offer accident forgiveness programs, which prevent your first at-fault accident from affecting your rates. If you have this feature, it can be a valuable safeguard.

Use Your Safe Driving Discounts

If your insurance offers safe driving discounts, make the most of them. These programs can help offset rate increases. Staying accident-free for a set period might qualify you for discounts.

Complete Defensive Driving Courses

Completing a defensive driving course can not only improve your driving skills but also demonstrate your commitment to safe driving to your insurer. Some insurers offer discounts for course completion.

Shop Around for Better Rates

Don’t be afraid to shop around for better insurance rates, especially if your current insurer raises your premiums significantly after an accident. Compare quotes from different companies to find the best deal.

Maintain a Clean Record

Avoid additional accidents and traffic violations. A clean driving record can help offset the impact of an accident on your insurance rates.

How Long Does an Accident Stay on Your Record?

The duration an accident stays on your driving record can vary by state and insurance company. In general, an accident typically remains on your record for three to five years. However, the impact on your insurance rates might decrease over time, especially if you maintain a clean record in the years following the accident.

To find out the exact duration for your situation, it’s best to check with your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles and consult your insurance company.

Stay Safe on the Road

Preventing accidents is the best way to keep your insurance rates low and your driving record clean. For tips on safe driving and avoiding accidents, check out our article on “How to Avoid Car Accidents.”

Read “How to Avoid Car Accidents”

Articles - Personal Insurance

How to avoid insurance increase after accident

I want to reduce my car insurance after an accident.

Send the request and we will quote multiple markets to get you the best coverage and price. 

Contact details:

We will compare quotes from trusted carriers for you and provide you with the best offer.

Protecting your future with us

Whatever your needs, give us a call, have you been told you can’t insure your risk, been turned down, or simply unhappy with your current insurance? Since 1995 we’ve been providing coverage to our customers, and helping people across United States.